So while writing the introduction for the Florence Shopping post earlier this week, for sake of the prose, I wanted to use Florence’s nickname, but I couldn’t think of it (it’s City of Lilies)! You know, Rome’s the Eternal City, New York, the Big Apple. Well trying to find out Florence’s sent me down a rabbit hole, so I bring to you, 25 random cities and their nicknames.
2. Los Angeles – The City of Angels
3. Las Vegas – Sin City
4. Chicago – The Windy City
5. Paris – The City of Love, The City of Light, La Ville-Lumiere
6. New Orleans – The Big Easy
7. Philadelphia – City of Brotherly Love, Philly
8. Detroit – Motor City, Rock City
9. Venice – La Serenissima
11. San Francisco – Frisco
12. London – The Old Smoke, The Big Smoke
13. Beijing – The Forbidden City
14. Edinburgh – Auld Reekie
15. Vicenza – City of Gold
16. Memphis – Bluff City, Blues City I’m suddenly craving really good roadside BBQ
17. Pittsburg – Iron City
18. Milano – Fashion Capital of the World, makes sense and then I came across The Drinkable City & The Moral Capital bizarre
19. Madrid – El Foro, The Forum
20. Jerusalem – The Holy City, you mad Vatican?
21. Bologna – Red City; La Dotta, La Rossa, La Grassa (the educated, the red, the fat) and you can call people from there tortellinis 🙂
22. One of my favorites I came across La Spezia — “il pisciatoio d’Italia” (the urinal of Italy)
Because la region Liguria is one of the rainiest places in Italy.
23. Budapest – Pearl of the Danube
24. Macau – Oyster City
25. Singapore – The Lion City
But what about… Rack City? That’s actually Vegas 😉
Where are you from? What do you think some of these cities really should be called?