OK, you’ve gotten your holiday shopping out of the way. Now it’s time to focus on that other question that induces a headache this time a year, “What are we doing for New Year’s?” I say, take a trip! Get out and explore this world, start the new year, in a new place, new you, maybe with a new boo? Hey, it worked for me last year! Here are my top 10 instagram-envy inducing locales selected from our ‘N A Perfect World travels of 2015. Looking back, it’s been a pretty wild year….
1. Tel Aviv, Israel. Bold statement alert: No one parties like Israelis and in this Mediterranean city you’ll find a bizarre hybrid of South Beach meets Silicon Valley filled with beautiful people living for every moment of life. And with Jerusalem a short drive away, you have the option of your Instagram captions being rife with 2016 AD / BC puns!
2. Singapore. Think of your Times Square dreams. Now times that by 100. The modernity and technology on display in Singapore is almost a nod to Blade Runner comes to life. (Almost because you’ll see Singapore seemingly has NO grit. Definitely the cleanest place I’ve ever seen.) Even if bright lights and skyscrapers aren’t your thing, here’s the real instagram-envy inducing reason to head to Singapore. #Foodporn. From the polarizing Durian to Hainanese chicken rice to the famed Chili Crab, this city is a foodie’s dream.
3. Havana, Cuba. The past of New Years eve in Havana is infamous throughout the world, but trust me, I have a feeling your New Years kiss here will be a little bit more romantic than Michael and Fredo’s. A stone’s throw away from Miami with downtown Havana architecture being a photographer’s dream, this is a New Year’s jaunt you definitely won’t regret.
4. Cartagena, Colombia. Speaking of a stone’s throw from Miami. Why not head to South America for New Years? Along with Punta del Este, Cartagena is reputed to have one of the most decadent New Years with the créme de la créme of South American society. Beautifully restored villas in the old city painted in bright Caribbean colours, dancing in the streets and the jovial Colombian people. If nothing else, it’s a great place for people watching. But trust me: you’ll want to participate in the revelry.
5. Barceló Bávaro Resort at Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Why not go the all-inclusive route? That way you and your crew (be it family or friends) know exactly what you’re doing, you don’t have to worry about getting around. New Years day, your room is just a short crawl to the beach and that gorgeous Caribbean blue. Perfect for your “Happy New Year!” morning pic of your feet that says to your friends in colder climates, “My hangover is better than yours.” Barceló Bavaro Resorts in the Dominican Republic has everything you could want. Not sure what New Years Eve dinner should be? Don’t worry there are ELEVEN restaurants to choose from, fireworks on the beach and fun times to be had in the nightly Vegas style show and casino.
6. All inclusive not your jam? I hear ya. There was something about Rockhouse hotel in Negril, Jamaica that instantly made us feel right at home. Check out @rockhousehotel Instagram…. Yea. Have you booked yet? Watching the cliff-side villas on this properties with a rum punch in hand is the epitome of paradise.
7. Florence, Italy. From Michelangelo to Bernini every building in this city is a feast for the eyes. Treat yourself to beauty, incredible Tuscan food and culture.
8. Would you really rather just get away from it all? I can’t think of any place that I’ve been so far more perfect from this than Nevis, West Indies. The more subdued sister to St. Kitts, this little island is where you’ll find the only Four Seasons in the Caribbean. The Montpelier Plantation on the island is also where Princess Diana (with the young princes in tow) found some respite from media during her divorce announcement from Prince Charles in 1992. Yes… it’s that kind of place.
9. I’m a New Yorker. A total city girl at heart and while I love a beach escape, I can certainly dig the appeal of watching fireworks from the London eye and seeing Big Ben absolutely illuminated with sparks. Let’s finally live out those Love Actually New Years fantasies? London, UK!
10. I saved my personal New Years escape of the last few years for last, Sayulita, Mexico. Located a short drive away from Puerto Vallarta, and Kardashian fave, Punta Mita, this charming beachside surf town is my perfect escape from NYC. You’ve never seen golden hour until you’ve seen the sun rays bouncing off the golden flecks in the black sand beaches of this paradise. But I don’t want to give too much away… ;).
Plane tickets booked?
Here are a few insta-suggestions on where to stay:
Pingback: Shine Bright! New Year’s Eve Dressing | 'N A Perfect World with Nneya Richards © 2015