“Where’s your next trip?” As a travel blogger, that’s probably the questions I get asked the most. Funnily enough, I usually don’t know my travel plans any more than a few weeks ahead. January is a particularly exciting time: some people make new year resolutions, I make travel resolutions. Through asking people, reading travel sites, this is the time of year when I figure out what places I’ll hit up on my ever expanding travel bucket list. One of my favorite resources, the New York Times‘ annual 52 Places to Go in 2017. Here’s the list below, but you should really check out NYT‘s site as well as they’ve totally upped their visuals game.
- Canada. Canada is having a moment in my mind. Especially Alberta, beautiful clean cities, pristine sweeping landscapes, I really want to make it to our Northern neighbor next year. Did you hear that the Canadian immigration website stalled with an influx of visitors on election night here in the US? Plus that Justin Trudeau is a stone cold fox.
- Atacama Desert, Chile.
- Agra, India. My favorite Indian restaurant in NYC’s namesake.
- Zermatt, Switzerland.
- Botswana. I’ve been dying to take a trip to the motherland.
- Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming. I have resolved to explore the US more this year.
- Tijuana, Mexico. Remember that OC episode? I swear, it’s different now.
- Detroit, Michigan. From designer Deanna Ansara of Vincetta to one of my best friends from college, to friend and mentor Glam4Good‘s Mary Alice Stephenson, I’ve been hearing a lot of wonderful things about the revitalization of Detroit for a few years now. The new Brooklyn people say… Whatever that means. But nonetheless, I really want to check it out.
- Hamburg, Germany. I met a friend on my travels in South America from Hamburg. Maybe it’s time I checked it out.
- Marrakesh, Morocco.
- Greenville, South Carolina.
- Pedregal, Ecuador.
- Penzance, England.
- Osaka, Japan. I’ve been dying to go here for another foodie trip like Singapore.
- Stockholm, Sweden.
- Sikkim, India.
- Île de Porquerolles, France.
- Sanya, China.
- Great Barrier Reef, Australia.
- Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Kingston, Jamaica. Ya mon’
- Comporta, Portugal. Perhaps my next destination in Portugal?
- Kazakhstan. When I used to Periscope a lot, many of my viewers were from Kazahkstan so I definitely developed a strong affinity for the place.
- Athens, Greece.
- Northwest Puerto Rico.
- Chiang Mai, Thailand.
- Napa Valley, California.
- Puerto Escondido, Mexico.
- Sedona, Arizona.
- Ketchum, Idaho.
- Calabria, Italy. I have a special place in my heart for Southern Italy. I think Calabria needs to be my next stop.
- Antequera, Spain.
- Lofoten Islands, Norway.
- Iberá Wetlands, Argentina.
- Istria, Croatia.
- Placencia, Belize.
- Langtang Region, Nepal.
- Bozcaada, Turkey.
- Birmingham, Alabama.
- Sacred Valley, Peru.
- Laikipia, Kenya.
- Busan, South Korea.
- Portland, Oregon.
- Budapest, Hungary. Maybe it’s time to give this old city another shot?
- South Bronx.
- Ryukyu Islands, Japan.
What are you travel plans for this year? Planning to go to any place on this list? Have you already been to some of these destinations? Let me know in the comments! And like last year, try this game. How many countries in the world can you name? Can you believe there are less than 200? Play and share your scores with me!
Another place I’ve been dying to go? Senegal.
YAY for Canada being number one! Great list- I need to go to all of those places 😀 xx
I lived in Calabria for 4 years and have visited every year since. I highly recommend it. If you’re interested in, I have a blog mostly about the region and my non-fiction book, Calabria: The Other Italy. Maybe now after the NY Times list, I won’t get, “Where’s that?” when people see the title.